This short tour out of Mekele will take you to the lowest (and sometimes hottest!) point on the planet! The Danakil Depression, located in the northeast of Ethiopia, is a badland desert area spanning the border with Eritrea. The Danakil Depression is the hottest place on earth in terms of year-round average temperatures. It is also one of the lowest places on the planet, and there is no rain for most of the year.
The area is famed for its outer-worldly landscapes, salt lakes and visible volcanic activity. Although this is an unbelievably hard place to live, the local Afar people still call this area home and make daily excursions to the salt flats to mine the salt. On this tour, you will see how the Afar people live and work in the salt flats. You will also get a chance to visit the incredibly colorful sulphur springs at Dallol.
Day 1: Mekele – Hamede Ela Drive to Hamedela via Berhale
The Danakil Depression can be said to ‘begin’ here. It is one of the most inhospitable regions of the world, but is nonetheless spectacular, full of eye-catching colors, as in the sulphur springs. The desert has several points lying more than 100 meters (328 ft) below sea level; You pass through a small town of Berhale where the camel caravan stop before they proceed to the northern highlands. En route you see many long camel caravans coming to the salt mine and others going out of the Danakil with their salt loaded camels.(3-4 hrs drive) Camp Hamedela. After drive to reach Hamad Ela, better village with a total population about 500 people. Sun set at Dallol. Over night camping at Hamed Ela.
Morning tour Drive to Ragad (Asebo), the place where the localities are mining salt. Look the activity of breaking the salt from the ground, cutting in to rectangular pieces and loading on camels. You drive ahead to Dallol and visit the difference landscape formed by volcanic activity, Dallol + Lake Assal + camel caravans. Excursion to Dallol (116 meter below sea level, one of the lowest places in the world) colorful salts mining, visit Lake Assal, follow up camel caravans and walk with the Afar people. Drive back to Hamedela and proceed to Mekele.
- vehicle latest model Toyota with Experienced English speaking driver throughout the Tour.
- All Entrance fees and licenses as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages with meals as per the program and plenty bottles of water for the trip.
- Surface Transport expense with four wheel drive Land cruiser including fuel expense and drivers allowance
- Local guide service for the afar region as per the program.
- Cooking, camping equipment,
- Scout and police service in Afar Region as per the program.
- Camel and Camel tires in Afar Region as per the program.
- Experienced cook throughout of the tour as per the program.
- Government Taxes-VAT.
For the duration of the trip we are responsible for all meals, waters entrance fees, accommodation, security, and transportation. Duration – two days from Mekele to Mekele.
Danakil security is a safe area. Mobile coverage is now available in the camping site of Hamedela village, Dallol area and on the road between Hamedela to Ertale volcano. Tours travel in convoy and it is prerequisite to have security when visiting the Danakil.